Monday, January 30, 2006

Preliminary idea for audio project:

Telephones...here's an idea...

I would like to create a piece by using the sounds that are strictly produced/"emitted" by various telephones. The plan is to record and essentially create a bank of different sound samples from telephones and edit these various sounds together to somehow make a coherent piece. Sounds may include:

- dail tones
- pitches of buttons on various phones
- "clicking" noises made when using a phone
- sound of the "rotary" (on rotary phones)
- the "ring" etc.

I also think it would be interesting to record the various automated voices you sometimes get. For example the message you get when you pick up a pay phone or the message you sometimes get when you are about to call long distance.

As far as technical requirements go, I'll be using a portable microphone for sure and will most likely use Cubase to put it all together.

No comments: