Virtual Communication: "Phone Vs Phone"
The science and technology of communicating at long distances by electronic transmission of impulses, for example via a telephone, is an amazing accomplishment. Today the use of automated telephone tellers has become very common by various companies. If you define communication as a dialogue occuring between warm bodies (a.k.a. REAL PEOPLE!) then communication is actually not really happening...or is it???
To play on this idea and for the complete irony of it, I would like to create a conversation between recorded automated tellers-to pit them against each other.
Plan: To record the voices of two or three automated tellers, particularly those given personas and to use those recordings to create a conversation between them ( to have them play off one another). Currently I am thinking of having a soap opera like storyline.
Technologies/resources:
- Sonic Design Studio (St. Patrick's Building, Carleton Univerisity): has a computer with Cubase installed (I have it scheduled for 2 hours each week)
- Home Computer
- Telephone
- Phone book
- Telephone pick-up microphone
- Mini-disk (recording device)
Schedule/Locations: I will be working on this project from the end of February to the beginning of April both at home and at the Sonic Design studio at Carleton Univeristy.
See previous blog entry ("Tentative Project Schedule") for a more detailed schedule, including goals for each week.

No comments:
Post a Comment