Saturday, October 14, 2006

Progress on Minimalism - First Filming Complete!

For the past couple of weeks I have:
  • Composed the music for my "Minimalism" video at home
  • Used the GarageBand program available at the Sonic Design Lab for its instruments and exported it as audio. The instruments I used are Piano, Church Bells, 2 Flutes, and Triangle
  • I also came up with my notation for this, I've decided to use a circle/clockwise direction concept. I will post pictures of my notation along with explanations later.
  • Decided on how to film it
Today:
I got the filming complete for the "minimalist peice" this afternoon (with the help of andrew, the camera man).

It was pretty interesting, I literally had to practice how to paint black blobs on a floor tile before each take! haha!

Materials: laptop + head phones with composition on it, notation of composition (western version) for reference, drawn up new music notation also for reference, tripod, video camera (+ camera man), black cloth, one industrial floor tile, paint brush and acrylic black ink

Procedure:
  1. Draw "staff lines" on tile
  2. Put together set (look below for explanation)
  3. Angle camera
  4. Practice drawing with paint and brush along with the music
  5. video record
  6. repeat steps 3-5, four more times at different camera angles

Set Design (see picture)/its explanation:
  • Rectangular coffee table draped with black cloth
  • Placed in the center is a off- white industrial ceramic floor tile
It is a pretty bare look, with only 2-3 colour tones. I did this because it corresponds with the idea of stripping down to its essential elements, which often describes minimalist art.

The use of the industrial tile connects to the wide use of industrial materials used in minimalist sculptures.

No comments: